Craig W. Trepanier
Direct Dial: 612-455-0502
Craig W. Trepanier, co-founder and President of the Firm, represents corporations and individuals in business, commercial litigation, and employment law. He brings determination, tenacity, and passion to his work.
As a corporate and business lawyer, Craig provides counsel to new and emerging companies and entrepreneurs. He has extensive experience with business formation, corporate governance, buy-sell agreements, a variety of business contracts including sales, purchase, manufacturing, supply, distributorship, and non-disclosure agreements, and assisting closely held companies in their corporate law matters.
As a labor and employment lawyer, Craig represents both employers and individual employees. He provides employers with advice and counseling, drafts employee handbooks and policies, and represents corporations in the defense of lawsuits alleging wrongful termination, harassment, and discrimination. In addition, many of Craig’s clients are highly compensated executives and professionals seeking guidance on career transition issues, job offers, employment contracts, executive compensation, non-compete agreements, and severance agreements. Craig frequently represents executives and corporations in defending non-compete and trade secrets disputes.
As a litigator, Craig represents businesses and individuals in employment, commercial litigation, minority shareholder rights, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, unpaid wages and commissions, trade secrets, non-competition, deceptive trade practices, sales representatives, and unfair competition matters.
Craig’s clients are well served by his common sense, perseverance, unyielding loyalty, and sound judgment. Craig has been named a “Minnesota Super Lawyer” of the Twin Cities legal profession (an award given to less than 5% of Minnesota lawyers) by Minnesota Super Lawyers Magazine every year since 2009. Craig has a 10.0 “Superb” rating from AVVO.com, an independent lawyer ranking service.
After graduating from the University of Minnesota magna cum laude in 1994, Craig joined Popham, Haik, Schnobrich & Kaufman Ltd., whose lawyers later joined the 400-lawyer firm of Hinshaw & Culbertson in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1997. Craig opened his own law firm named Trepanier Law Office in St. Paul, Minnesota in 2001. In October 2003, Mr. Trepanier and James C. MacGillis formed Trepanier & MacGillis P.A. and moved their offices to downtown Minneapolis in the historic Flour Exchange Building. On November 1, 2013, Craig and Jim welcomed new shareholder Bryan R. Battina and changed the name of the firm to Trepanier MacGillis Battina P.A.
Craig is a frequent author and speaker on Minnesota employment law topics. He is the 2014-2015 Secretary and Treasurer of the Minnesota State Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section Governing Council. He also sits on the CLE Committee of the Hennepin County Bar Association.
Craig volunteers his time through the Volunteer Lawyers Network, assisting low-income clients with unemployment compensation claims, the Hennepin County District Court self-help center, and other pro bono matters.
In addition to practicing law, Craig is an abstract painter and photographer of rust, metal, industrial equipment, and the urban environment. His artwork can be seen throughout TMB’s downtown office, this website, and on the MNArists.org website. In the fall of 2014, Craig’s photo collages were selected for a gallery showing by the Hennepin County Bar Association Art & the Bar Committee.
Craig is the proud father of two sons. Luke (22) recently graduated from the University of Minnesota Duluth with a degree in marketing. Leo (2) is just starting to talk, but seems to have an independent streak like his father. Craig’s wife, Erica, is a floral designer and freelance photographer.
- Corporate Law
- Business Startups
- Business Acquisitions
- Commercial Litigation
- Shareholder Disputes
- Employment Law
- Trade Secrets
- Executive Law
- Sales Representatives
- Augustana College, B.A. (1991) magna cum laude
- University of Minnesota, J.D. (1994) magna cum laude, Minnesota Law Review
- Minnesota Super Lawyer (2009-2014)
- Minnesota Rising Star (2000-2008)
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa
- President, Augustana College Debate Union
- National Debate Tournament Qualifier (1988-1991)
- Minnesota Supreme Court (1994)
- District of Minnesota (1994)
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals (1997)
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Minneapolis Civil Rights Commission
- Minnesota Department of Human Rights
- Minnesota Department of Employment & Economic Development
- National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- MSBA Labor & Employment Governing Council
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Volunteer Lawyers Network
- Minnesota Transport Services Association (Corporate Secretary)
- Nordic Woods Homeowners Association (President)
- Minnesota Transport Services Association (member and corporate secretary)
- Manufacturers’ Agents National Association (MANA) (member)
- Drug & Alcohol Testing Industry Association (former member)