Nicholas N. Sperling
Direct Dial: 612.455.6241
Nick represents corporate and individual clients in all aspects of business law, employment law, commercial litigation, privacy law and information technology and licensing law.
In his practice, Nick focuses on each client’s goals and tailors his approach to achieve the best and most efficient outcome, working alongside his clients to resolve issues outside of the courtroom in settlement negotiations, mediation or arbitration; and serving as their zealous advocate in the courtroom. Nick has experience litigating a wide range of matters in state and federal court, representing clients in shareholder disputes and breach of contract, employment and real estate matters. Nick also regularly negotiates IT and software license agreements, and drafts privacy and terms-of-use policies for websites and mobile applications. He is licensed to practice law in states courts in Minnesota and Wisconsin and the U.S. District Courts for the District of Minnesota, the Eastern District of Wisconsin, and the Western District of Wisconsin.
In addition to his private practice, Nick serves as Board Chair for Reach Out and Read Minnesota, a nonprofit organization focused on early childhood literacy and closing the opportunity gap in Minnesota communities, and is a board member for Twin Cities Fitness Integrated Therapy. Nick is also a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association, Wisconsin Bar Association, participating in the Business Law Sections for both Minnesota and Wisconsin Bars and the Technology Law Section for the Minnesota State Bar Association. Prior to joining the firm, Nick spent four years as an associate attorney at a mid-sized Minneapolis law firm where he oversaw the firm’s small business and IT practice group. Prior to that Nick clerked for a Circuit Court Judge. Nick has been named a North Star Lawyer for 2016 and 2017 and named as a Super Lawyers (R) Rising Star for 2020-2021.
Nick lives in St. Paul and enjoys spending time with his family and friends. He often can be found in the Twin Cities running and biking trails in his free time.
- Corporate Law
- Non-Profit Entities
- Business Acquisitions
- Business Startups
- Trademark & Copyright
- Real Estate
- Commercial Litigation
- Defamation and Privacy Law
- Tech Law
- Employment Law
- University of Minnesota – Duluth, B.A.S. (2003)
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, J.D. (2010)
- MSBA Northstar Lawyer 2016-2017
- Named as a Rising Star in the areas of Business Litigation, Business/Corporate Law, Real Estate: Business, Nonprofit Organizations and Technology Transactions 2020-2021
- Adjunct Faculty Member at University of St. Thomas School of Law 2019-2020
- Board Chair, Board of Directors for Reach Out and Read Minnesota
- Director, Board of Directors for Twin Cities F.I.T.
- Minnesota Supreme Court (2010)
- Wisconsin Supreme Court (2011)
- District of Minnesota (2015)
- Western District of Wisconsin (2019)
- Eastern District of Wisconsin (2019)
- Minnesota Department of Revenue
- Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
- National Arbitration and Mediation (“NAM”)
- Minnesota Board of Dentistry
- American Arbitration Association (“AAA”)
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Computer and Technology Law Section
- Member of Technology and Computer Law Council 2018-2019
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Business Law Section